Established in 1954, the Federal Employee's Group Life Insurance Program covers over four million federal employees and retirees.
Learn More
Forms & Rule Icon

Forms & Rule

Find out how the government contributes towards Basic insurance costs, providing financial support to help safeguard your family's future.
Learn More
TSP Basics Icon

TSP Basics

Delve into the fundamentals of the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), your key to building a secure retirement future as a federal employee.
Learn More
Services Icon


Explore our range of additional services designed to complement your federal benefits package, providing tailored support and resources to enhance your overall well-being and financial security.
Learn More
Life Icon


Discover how age impacts insurance rates and why exploring alternative private market options may be beneficial as you plan for the future.
Learn More
Annuities Icon


Fixed index annuities are insurance products that offer potential interest earnings based on the performance of a market index, while also providing a guaranteed minimum interest rate.
Learn More


One of the most significant group life insurance programs in the world, the Federal Employee’s Group Life Insurance Program was established in 1954. It covers more than four million federal employees, federal retirees, and many family members. The problems with FEGLI is that FEGLI Option B and Option C rates rise dramatically as participants age and people often benefit by using a FEGLI alternative through a private market company.

Most federal employees are eligible for FEGLI, hence the ‘group’ part of the life insurance program. It does not create any cash value, however. New employees are automatically covered by the Basic version of FEGLI, though there are three additional options. The payroll office will deduct premiums from the paycheck of the employee until the employee waives the coverage. To elect for any of the other three options, you must actively select them- Basic is the only automatically enrolled option.

The government’s contribution to the cost of Basic insurance totals approximately 70 percent of the total payment, but it is up to the employee to cover the remaining amount up to 30 percent. Age will not affect the cost of Basic insurance, but your optional premiums will rise. You also pay full price for the optional coverage.

Claims are paid and processed by The Office of Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance (OFEGLI), which is a private entity contracted with the Federal Government.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

©2024. All rights reserved. | Powered by Zywave Websites